View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
About crashing… I crashed about 4 or 5 times and dropped the bike another 4 or 5 times. At times I became really frustrated, tired and out of breath in the high altitude. I broke a mirror, tweaked my side cases and bent a few things. The whole time my friends, three of whom are from Colorado, were kind, patient and full of helpful advice. I ended up turning my pre-load down but it was not until the second to the last day on the trail while rolling over some heavy washboard roads that figured out what was wrong besides my lack of experience. The heavy washboards were causing me to shift forward, it was like I was braking. I have been over lots of washboard roads before and this is when it dawned on me that something besides me wasn’t right. So I pulled over to the side of the road and adjusted my damper back down, which I had adjusted up before the trip. That made a 100% difference, and good thing because shortly after we once again hit some very rocky and technical areas, just like I was crashing on. Made it through the area with no problems even did a hairy river crossing! I can kick my self in the ass for that…

About almost dying… that only happened twice, one time on a tricky switch back on Cinnamon Pass I hit a rock which swung me around perpendicular to the road, and I’m not exaggerating I muscled me bike around just two inches from driving over the edge…

Below is picture of one of my side cases where it fell off during one of my crashes. Looking back at the pictures the roads never look as steep or as rocky as they really were.

[IMG]IMG_0634[/IMG]
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote