View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah View Post
Some companies are offering "rugged" Android smart phones that are water, dust, shock resistant, so would be better suited for motorcycle use.
Has anyone actually tried any of these? I've yet to see any reports on how good they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah View Post
Problem with smartphones is you don't have as powerful a GPS radio as on a stand alone unit, so reception can be an issue. Also, data plan usage can get costly when navigating this way.
My experience is the opposite with regards to reception. It's almost perfect, it is usually correct within 2 meters, and it gets a cold fix on my position very fast. Obviously I haven't tried every phone available, but I'm not aware of any that are known to be bad.

Data plans are an issue if you use the wrong mapping software (eg: stay away from google maps unless you use it very rarely). It's something to be aware of, but there are simple steps you can take to make sure you never use any data or use almost no data.