View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,680
You can take a hyper on dirt roads just fine but it is definitely more fun on the road. I just spent a few 250 mile days on my 796, everything from short dirt roads to open highway. It will cruise just fine on the highway at 75mph+. Vibrations are minimal in the bars for me. The seat could use some work as I do get two pressure points after being in the saddle all day but I think my next investment is a Sargent seat so hopefully that fixes that.

Weak points on the 796.

The fork is soft. Fixes for that can be as cheap as $150 bucks for a Traxxion kit to $1500 for full on adjustable Andreani forks. The stock gearing is a little to tall in the lower gears so slow speed stuff requires a little more clutch work. I've read putting a 14 tooth up front helps with that. No helmet locks (I've added 2)

Other than that, just put gas in it and ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
Not an issue if you were planning on buying a used one.

Also be aware that the 796 (well, mine anyway) will only go about 110 miles until the low fuel light comes on. If your five hour ride is on the interstate you're going to stop for gas three times... which will be fine because the stock seat isn't great for long rides anyway.

Does your 796 have any mod's at all? I'm usually in the 135 range before the light comes on. The week of riding in the mountains that I just did with my father in law ( He was on a harley so we were just cruising ) I was hitting 150 miles and the light never came on.