Thread: Thailand
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #21
Digiamo
Dan nyc

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
I'm in Peru now but when in bkk I stay at the Rompo Mansion which is off the tourist beat, but still near enough to everything. It has a really nice pool and work out and steam rooms.
Many people prefer the Kao San rd scene. I don't care much for it since it's off any easy mass transit routes.
When you arrive grab some thai money from an atm and head straight for the ground floor where the meter taxis are. Ignore any and all taxi touts, they will charge 5 times the meter taxi costs. Have the phone # for your hotel handy. English will be very limited.
Since you're going to be there 3 months start now learning a little Thai online or with a cd and phrasebook. A little Thai will go a long way.
Hey Pilot, Thanks so much for the advice, Keep it coming. A friend is going to give my a CD with Thai lessons. I was hoping to get around that but your suggestion is solid ...as in Latin America, a little spanish goes a long way and I have barely a little.
Noticed you have or had an ST1100. I had two and put well over 200,000 miles on them. On of the guys meeting me in BKK has three ST1100 and has a lot of experience working on them. He changed the engine in mine on my way to Belize with him...with my help of course :) ;)
You're gonna love him.
Digiamo is offline   Reply With Quote