View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #16950
Orygunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
If you're riding a bike that requires 4 fingers to get maximum braking or has so much lever travel that it drops to the point where it pinches your fingers you need to service your brake system. With my calipers the widest part of my finger with race gauntlet gloves is 26mm...

If they're covering the front brake with 1 to 2 fingers how are they going to suddenly add another 2 fingers to it?

By not covering the brakes they are adding about 0.186 to there brake reaction time (http://www.promocycle.com/documentat...valfrein_e.pdf) Meaning at 60 mph he's added 16ft to his stopping time (80mph = 21ft).

Why do almost all of the racers (off-road and street) brake with either 1 or 2 fingers (with a notable exception being Rossi) and many cover the lever full time.
We have a variety of 125 - 250 cc training bikes, and do service them regularly. Some bikes (specifically Suzuki DR 250s) inherently have very spongy brakes that require a lot of force (ALL fingers) to stop quickly. Others only have a fraction of an inch between the lever and the handgrip under maximum braking, by design, with stock levers.

Edit: Actually, on top of that, are all motorcycle riders going to make sure their levers are adjusted so that they can brake hard with 2 fingers and not pinch/crush the rest? As I said, we are teaching to a common denominator. Use all 4 fingers for braking, all the time eliminates that problem for everybody.

Also consider who we are teaching - new, inexperienced riders. We coach them to cover their clutch at all times on the range (at least for the first day of training), and NOT to cover the brake at any time on the range - covering the brakes is mentioned in the classroom for hazardous situations on the street where they would want to reduce their reaction time, but we're not surprising them on the range, and the risk of accidentally or mistakenly applying front brake at the wrong time is a considerable safety issue.

The initial question was concerning what was taught in a basic riding class. Racing techniques usually are for more experienced riders.

I personally use all fingers for most braking, but sometimes just use two depending on what I'm doing (slow speed manuvers or blipping the throttle while braking & downshifting). Sometimes I even just use one brake or the other.

...Orygunner...
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Actually I'm not sure the Vulcan qualifies as a bike... two wheeled tank, maybe....With the 2000's clearance I'm not sure the Vulcan could make it around the tightest curves on a track without having to stop and back up...

Orygunner screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 02:09 PM
Orygunner is offline   Reply With Quote