View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
DSM8 OP
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,624
Thumb 100K WeeStrom Oil Analysis

Just wanted to share an oil analysis I just got back for my 07 DL650. The bike has just shy of 100K miles on it, engine is bone stock, never been touched other than oil changes and air filters.

The oil is changed every 5K miles though this time it went further than usual. Just thought it might be interesting to other Strom owners.

Still gets 55mpg, used to commute year round in stop and go traffic, two up weekend trips and day time rides in the canyons. I was expecting to see more metal content due to mileage but it wasn't present. I add about 200ml over the course of 5K miles to top off. If that...

Oil Type: Ams Oil Full Syth 15/50 - Been the only oil used in the bike after the 600 mile break-in period with Dyno oil
Oil Filters: Stock, K&N or WIX when available (Wix is my go to choice, I have cut open all three and they are similar with Wix having the largest number of internal pleats)
Air Filter: I make my own using a modified WIX air filter glued to the stock air filter body after realizing the cost of stock was ridiculous. This has been my go to solution for the last 60K miles

DSM8 screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 09:45 AM Reason: details....details...
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote