View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
Dirty bike OP
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheal6520 View Post
I really like your fuel cell and am considering it for my bike, but I have a cupple of questions.

Is it really necessary to drill the tank. Wouldn't it be easier (and in my case, safer) to tap into one of the fuel lines?

Where is the valve you "switch the fuel cell valve open" located? Why not leave it open all the time?
Mikef pretty much nailed this. Drilling the tank is really not a big deal. I taped a cap under the hole after drilling a small pilot hole. Then used a Unibit to drill the hole out to the necessary size, catching 98% of the chips in the cap. Removed the cap and chips, deburred the hole carefully and then used a vacuum to suck out the chips I missed or were created during the deburr process, (which were minimal and mostly taken out bit by bit).

It helps to have done this before. But it also helps that I'm a machinist with 25 years of experience. My comfort level is pretty high with metal. Having also wrenched for a dozen years doesn't hurt either.

As long as your hole is not so close to the edge of the tank that you can't get a wrench on the nut on the inside of the tank, and your hands are small enough to fit into the tank, this is not rocket science. The fuel lines are not a good choice on a EFI bike. Every bike has different issues. HDs have a cross over line between the fat bobs, for example, that works well for aux fuel connection with gravity feed. On the Super Ten, you really need to drill the tank. It may be possible to drill the fuel pump plate, but I am much less comfortable drilling a hole into plastic unless I have a oem fitting to place there. That plastic is prone to cracking. It's not like it's UHMW with some fiber to hold it together.

As show in the pictures, (#7 in the original post), the valve is on the left side front corner of the tank. There is a small sump fitting there that keeps fuel flowing down hill at all times to and thru the valve. It's with in easy reach of my left hand while riding. If I left it open all the time, the potential to over flow the main tank exists.

This is pretty much true of most fuel cell designs. My wife's F650GS has the main tank under the seat with the fuel cell above the pass seat. It's rather ugly when she forgets to close the valve, fills both tanks and runs in to take a pee. When she comes out, there is a huge puddle of gas and the station attendant has hit the emergency cut off and called 911 and hazmat. That really adds to your fuel stop times.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote