View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #1034
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
KTM was NOT going after 950/990 owners who will upgrade, they are going after new owners from other brands. All the existing 950/990 owners who don't like this bike will keep their bikes for many many years to come or maybe look at the smaller & lighter v-twin bike KTM is said to be making.
This bike is not for them.

Is that so hard to grasp that KTM is branching out? There is a reason all the mfg are producing 1200cc big adv bikes these days. They are selling. BMW leads the market and KTM wants a piece of the pie. No different than what the Super Tenere, Tiger Explorer XC, Stelvio NTX and even the new 1000 Strom concept are shooting for, plus for road only (ie regular 1190) you've also got the 1000 Versys and the new Caponord. BMW has shown it's not giving up with the new GS and they even have an enduro version that is said to cross back towards KTM with better dirt performance. Is there any doubt what all these mfg. are going for???
Exactly. I've been drooling over the 950/990 Adventure for years now. Never could get myself to sell the 1200GS, because even though its not nearly as good off-road its that much better on. But as I kept trying to make my GS more dirt worthy it became obvious that it will never even get close to what the KTM can do in the dirt. I will admit that when I read that the new GS will have a wet clutch I got right out excited thinking finally the GS will be more dirt worthy, but then the BMW guys screwed it up, put fatter even more dirt unfriendly tires on the new cow, made no mention of lower gearing for off-road and to put the coup the grace on it made the diameter of the front forks smaller. This new 1190 looks like it will still be much more dirt worthy than the GS, but should be just as good, maybe even better, than the GS on road.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote