View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #510
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Thought about that.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Regarding batteries, have you considered getting rechargeable batteries?

Fir about the same money you could have bought a charger and a couple batteries from battery junction. I have the ultrafire series and really like them for the price

I did give it a little thought.
Back when I was able to dive (pre sinus block) rechargeable batteries/lights were the 'new thing' and everyone had to have one, being contrary, I used an old school 'Bug Diver 400' that took 10 'D' alkaline cells (as I recall), heavy, cumbersome and expensive to 'refill'.But as a night dive went on the rechargeables would suddenly 'die' as the voltage dropped and I'd find myself in the center of a really tight crowd. The all until nothing nature of rechargeables didn't suit 'serious' use in my mind. While I am not going to find myself 40' underwater with a rapidly dimming light very often anymore, I spend much of my winter 'off the grid' where recharging isn't convenient. At present I'd need 11 of those 123 rechargeables for my lights plus 2 for the Eotech and that doesn't account for spares to be in the charger and ready. I have watched plenty of rechargeable lights, tools and defibrilators pass through service as a first responder, great when new out of the box, pia after a couple of years and gone after a few more because battery replacements cost more that a new device (not so much the defibs, we'd throw hundreds, probably thousands at more spare batteries and better conditioners because the unit was so $$$, while waiting for the next big improvement to justify replacement).
If time spent swapping and inconvenience (or worse) of having one 'quit' at the wrong time don't figure highly in the equation they are probably money well spent. For my wifes CD player (yes, we are old) they work fine but they aren't what I want in my light as I crawl down into a smoky basement.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote