View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #47
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ Fun View Post
So, you went to South Dakota during Sturgis and you expected to be able to enjoy riding the roads there????
SRSLY????

Joe

yes, we went to sturgis...no, we did not expect to be able to do anything except sit in traffic. We were all surprised as how open the backroads were away from the towns. Lots of people trailer their rides there and putt putt around for ten miles in the afternoon. That said, we adopted our strategy of taking breaks to let the slowbies go ahead, which was the point of this discussion.

As to traffic at Sturgis, here's a twist: I took a 1600gt for a spin at the BMW demo tent. We go out in a group, take a couple of turns, and we are on empty roads going out of sturgis! I lay back, juice it, catch up my group, lay back, rinse repeat. Now this was midday on one fo the busiest days at Sturgis. Going thru the heart of downtown takes 40 minutes to paddle through town....but we were going pretty fast without much traffic by picking the right roads. But most people are there for beer and tits and music.

We all agreed that the riding, esp. there and back on two-laners, was fantastic.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote