View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #22
71olds
Motorholic

Oddometer: 1,107
Ok I have had a DR650 XR650l DRZ400s & KLR650.

I am 5'11 205

DR650 is the lowest has a super soft suspension feels lighter then it is as the seat hight is so low.
Sold it to a buddy who still has it with no problems ever.
I then bought a XR650l Bike was tall way way way better suspension then the DR650 but hated it on rocks as it was too tall for me then lowered it with a lowering link & slid the fork tubes & it turned the bike around for me. oved it & still miss it
Sold it to buy my Husky te510
At the same time I bought a DRZ400 as tall as the XR but more slim so I did not need to lower it, Bike has been great heads & tails better then the DR or XR off road but I have modded the bike so that it it worthless for anything then connecting the trails. But was pretty lousy street bike.

Well now I have 2 pretty much all off road bikes so I bought a KLR650 If I only had 1 bike this may be it. Will go anywhere the DR or XR will go but not as fast. Bike is heavy and feels like it.

So the question is how much street use will you do?? you have a street bike so I would kick the KLR out because of that.
Then If you want to ride 5 miles to the trails & then ride some single track I would go DRZ400

If you want to be able to commute to work 25 miles & still ride trails I would go DR650 or XR650l
DR650 will be more forgiving to learn on the low seat will inspire confidence & soft suspenion will take less out of you at a moderate pace.
When you get better & faster the DR650 will bottom & feel underspung & you will want a XR650l.

My suggestion is to buy used & after a year you will know what you want.

Also the KLR & DR650 have a odd 17in rear tire makes for less choice of tires not a big deal but something to think about I think the Dr350 has a 18in rear & if you change the rear rotor will bolt up.

Also spent some time on a DR350s. This bike is super easy to lean on granny 1st low seat super soft. & not a lot of power. Great learning dual sport but you will sell it after a season for one of the others.
00 Suzuki DRZ400S

71olds screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 07:44 PM
71olds is offline   Reply With Quote