View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Saigon to Hanoi

I took the train from south to north. However it took me a few weeks to complete because I jumped off at every beach town and stayed a few days to drink cheap beer and eat great cheap seafood. I came across several riders from around the world and engaged many about their rides in both directions because I am too interested in embarking in such a journey. What I saw and what they said are very similar. Traffic is very light outside the larger cities. As you know Saigon and Hanoi are notorious for their traffic problems and numerous bikes both motorized and traditional. Just use caution entering the large towns and you should be ok. Holidays can be a little different so be alert on those days. The coastal roads were almost empty of heavy traffic. People were helpful and everyone can help with tire repairs, Gas maybe a problem so carry a extra Coke bottle (1 liter) in case some stations only have diesel . Some close early, so grab a hotel and leave the next morning. Do not ride at night! Too many stray dogs, drunks and vehicles with poor or no lighting. Have Fun!
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote