View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #51
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,623
The few, the proud, the Marin... Minimalists.

I realize traveling light and freezing at night isn't for everyone. I used to ride big overloaded BMWs down through Latin America in the previous century back before ADVrider was around. People thought I was nuts back then as well. Who cares? It was my comfort level back then. I quickly learned that a light bike is much more fun in Latin America and a small dirt bike is easy on gas and can take you to some really remote and interesting places that a bigger bike rider traveling solo might not try. But there is no perfect way to travel on a motorcycle. Everyone finds what works for them. I have nothing against people whatever or however they pack and ride.

My hope is that people can follow along on this ride report and decide for themselves if this is something they would like to try. I know there are a lot of people out there that think, no way will I ever be able to do something like that. I think you'd be surprised how long and far you can go for less than you'd think if you are willing to give it a go. I'll be reporting back what I find.

Best,
John Downs