View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #25478
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Glad I found this thread!

Started cycling a couple of months back on a Trek Hard Tail 4300.

Got the road bug because I like speed and distance so I found a brand new Gios Drop which turned out to be a cyclocross bike(I had no clue).

Usually put 70 to 100 plus miles per week with one longer ride of 40 to 80 miles per week. Working on getting to the century and possibly doing some touring.

So far it has received a rack, speedplay frog peddles(my knees have been saved!), shorter stem to reduce reach, and tomorrow will get a nashbar full carbon fork with FSA Gossamer brake. Also have saddle bags and lights.

Need to learn the art of hydration and nutrition here in the desert as well as get a seat that will coddle past 30 miles.

When I ride I always breathe through my mouth and it is always parched.

Any suggestions on a seat? I think I have narrow sit bones.

Also, touring groupset? It has Sora running gear with Sugino triple crank. I want less moving parts and tiagra or 105 dual chain ring, and assorted running gear.
What Gios model do you have? Is it the Pure Drop?

Why are you swapping the fork and front brake to what you ordered? If you have the Pure Drop, the fork that's on it will ride better than a carbon fork.

As stated, if you're parched, you're probably already dehydrated before even starting. I make sure to down one 22oz bottle of water per hour, on the road, while sipping on a Gatorade at the beginning of each long ride. I, also, drink about a gallon of water, everyday. Yes. I urinate a lot.

You'll have to try seats, before buying. Most shops will allow you to do a test ride, before committing. Currently, I'm on a Brooks B17 Imperial (in addition to the cutout, the crown is different than a B17). I've found that I can pretty much tell if a seat is going to workout, within a mile. If I have pressure points, I know it won't work.

I think you'll find that the cost of upgrading your drivetrain to Shimano 105 is going to be fairly expensive, relative to what your entire bike costs. If you're just wanting a double chainring, then, look at installing a compact crankset and leave the rest. Compact cranksets are available in 50/34T or 48/34T. Your LBS can help you select and install the right components.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote