View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #48
Johnny Tarr OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Ok, so the options appear to be:

1. Get a KLR and dirtify it, or
2. Get a DR and streetify it.

So, here are some more questions for you guys.

How much would each of the above cost me? I'm probably going to replace the seat either way, so you can leave that cost off of the suzuki, which as I understand is a mandatory upgrade for it.

I know neither bike is any good for two-up, but if I HAD to, which would be better?

I noticed that the KLR seems more suited to carrying a bunch of luggage. Is it far enough ahead in this catagory to be worth factoring this into my choice?

Though I come from an atv trail riding background, I'm a complete newbie at dirt riding two wheelers. The suzuki is significantly lighter, but several people in this thread and others say they ride their KLRs in single tracks. As a newbie, will I be able to?

The DR, by way of having a lot less plastic, looks to be less sensitive to being dropped. I am expecting to drop my bike on the trails. Can the KLR survive drops, and if not, how hard would it be to add that protection?

I've never owned anything oil cooled like the DR. Is that an advantage or disadvantage? Can anyone elaborate on this for me please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiADV
you should try to actually ride a KLR if you can.
I'd love to, but the local dealer doesn't allow test rides on anything but cruisers.

Edit: I am buying used, for those who have commented on that. I just keep mentioning dealers because its the easiest way for me to get up close with the bikes.

Johnny Tarr screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 09:40 AM
Johnny Tarr is offline   Reply With Quote