View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #512
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Guess I need to learn more....

I do have a solar panel and the ability to recharge from 12v, try as much as possible to not use an inverter for 110v chargers but still find myself having to for the computer so much as I try to avoid it even AC charging is possible.
I had neglected the change from the old NiCads to Li Ion, it certainly has made cordless tools more reliable. Guess that I should get with the times and look into what is out there for Li Ion batteries. How do actual run times compare with 'disposable' 123s? Do they 'store' well without losing strength?
It isn't that they need to outlast a cylinder of AIR (if we used Oxy, our exhalations would be feeding the fire - not good), It is that changing to fresh batteries isn't always an option 'on the way in', we don't get lots of warning that we will be headed into an emergency. The relatively low cost and high shelf life of disposables does make it easier to have a 'spare set' stored in several places but for more 'every day' use, where that voltage cutoff (and sudden darkness) isn't critical the rechargeables might fit my needs better than I thought.

Bruce

I am down in the 'lower tier' of the state, just east of Concord. I get up to the north country (usually) twice a year to fish with friends on the Connecticut Lakes, beautiful country and quite a contrast to spending winter in the Keys.
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote