View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #55
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Wishing you all the best on this trip and will be following along! It's vital that there are ride reports like yours....proving again that you don't have to be a millionaire movie star to take off on an adventurous ride. And 250 is NOT too small a bike for the job. There was a guy over on The HUBB who posted a nice report about a journey from Texas down into Argentina (as I recall) on a 250 Ninja....and get this.....his girlfriend was riding on the back.....AND they camped out most of the time......AND the guy himself was 6 foot 4! So......a 250? Heck yeah! I will now have to go back and read your earlier ride report!! I am always curious as to how folks who don't sell off everything and ride into the sunset manage to come back to jobs and stuff....i.e. everything they left behind for a while, 'cause that seems to be the biggest thing holding folks back: time off from work, bills, possessions.....any tips?
Hi Blader,

Glad to have you along for the ride! As far as tips on how to take off on a long ride, that is a tough one. You just have to be determined to make it happen. Nobody will make these trips happen for you. I have the greatest respect for younger guys with families that work hard and save and plan and negotiate with a family or wife that thinks their motorcycle advriding ideas are nuts and still are able to take off for the horizon now and again.

In my case it is easier. I choose to live simply and save as much money as I can. There is no twelve step program for me. And nobody to intervene since I'm a bachelor and self-employed contractor and can leave whenever I want.

I have chosen to live in a very inexpensive area of the country. I rode my motorcycle out here 6 years ago to put a brick fašade on my Aunt's ranch addition since there aren't any brick masons out in this sparsely populated part of the country. Used her ranch truck to pick up supplies in town and saw how cheap the houses were and I bought this house for 7500 bucks 6 years ago:

in Bassett, a town in rural Nebraska. Cost less than a good used truck. And the taxes are 160 bucks a year. And soon people were asking me to fix stuff. Install garage doors, tile bathrooms, re-roof hail damage. That sort of thing. I figured when I moved here I would have to go back to the big city and work to make money and come back to visit my new hobby house. But six years later I'm still here. And I am really liking how friendly the folks are here. And I have learned from them a simpler less materialistic lifestyle. And folks are practical around here. Plus you don't have to lock your doors since everyone knows everyone and there is no crime to speak of. And the winters are severe, so good time to take off south.

Even when I was younger and making a lot of money I found time to ride to Guatemala and Alaska. I just had to ride like hell since I only had two weeks max. The older you get the more time you will find to ride. So there's light at the end of the tunnel. But I don't look back on my life and wish I had worked more and ridden less. Take off now if you can swing it. The sooner the better. And especially for those younger folks reading this, take a long ride before you settle down, get married and have kids and a full time job.

I don't know if this is much help, but it's what has worked for me.

Kindest regards,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 10:29 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote