View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #70
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemm View Post
Perhaps I should clarify my second point. The gearing on the 650 is a bit better for highway, but the seat is still seemingly made of plywood. I wouldn't want to sit on the DR650 or DRZ400S for more than an hour going down the road, but even with the stock seat I can manage 2+ hours without too much discomfort on my KLR.

Maybe a Gen1 KLR would be the best compromise?
'Definitely better than a new one for getting thrown around off-pavement.

Quote:
Still better road manners than a DR650,
Please explain. I read this a lot on this site, but also see many KLR complaints of buzziness/vibes, needing to keep the revs below 5K to conserve oil, needing to keep the speed down because they're over-revving/working at 70MPH+, getting blown around by large vehicles, buffeting with the stock screen, etc. These complaints don't seem to be nearly as common among DR riders.

Quote:
not as much plastic to break, more robust than the Gen2 KLR in the off road category, lighter weight, and still KLR simple.
A good seat for the Zooks can be had for $160 or less though, and some people are fine on the stockers. I did many days over 200 miles on it, with a few over 1000 miles. Aftermarket options add even more comfort. YMMV.

There are wide-ratio gearsets available for the DR-Z now as well. I've really enjoyed my DR650, as well as a few other peoples' DR650s , but if I can have a dirtier DR-Z with the same or better gearspread for dual duty, I'm likely adding one to the garage sooner or later.

With a durable and lightweight 220-mile+ tank, and a comfy aftermarket seat (maybe a windscreen for some people too), long-distance travel capability is no longer an issue on a DR or a wide-ratio DR-Z. DIRT capability still is though, and there's already a streetbike in the stable, hence my lean towards the dirtier Zooks.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote