View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #1159
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 242
I have a ST and a KTM990smt. ST has 8500 miles on it and the smt has 9800 miles on it. I just got back from a 7 day 2700 mile road trip on the KTM. In a word the bike is brilliant. It is a very comfortable, fun, very engaging bike to ride with absolutely no negatives. I enjoy riding the ST but I literally love riding this KTM. Chain vs shaft I could be satisfied with either one. Weight there is a big difference between the two. Comfort is a coin flip. The ST feels more polished, is much better low down the rpm range - the smt absolutely loves the 5-6-7-8 rpm range. I could live with either one long term. I have been much harder on the KTM and it continues to run brilliantly. The ST you can beat the crap out of and it just does not miss a beat. The ktm is presently getting it's 9400 mile service done (but it does have 9800 miles on it) and valves were all in spec no adjustments needed. The ST get's dropped off for it's 8000 mile service when the KTM is ready. This new 1190 looks very impressive and could really be the best of both worlds type of bike.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote