View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #1161
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podman View Post
I have a ST and a KTM990smt. ST has 8500 miles on it and the smt has 9800 miles on it. I just got back from a 7 day 2700 mile road trip on the KTM. In a word the bike is brilliant. It is a very comfortable, fun, very engaging bike to ride with absolutely no negatives. I enjoy riding the ST but I literally love riding this KTM. Chain vs shaft I could be satisfied with either one. Weight there is a big difference between the two. Comfort is a coin flip. The ST feels more polished, is much better low down the rpm range - the smt absolutely loves the 5-6-7-8 rpm range. I could live with either one long term. I have been much harder on the KTM and it continues to run brilliantly. The ST you can beat the crap out of and it just does not miss a beat. The ktm is presently getting it's 9400 mile service done (but it does have 9800 miles on it) and valves were all in spec no adjustments needed. The ST get's dropped off for it's 8000 mile service when the KTM is ready. This new 1190 looks very impressive and could really be the best of both worlds type of bike.
Thanks for the info. I agree with you, this 1190 could be the ticket for me. The Super Tenere is a great bike from an "all-arounder" perspective and would be a no brainer for what my usage would be, but this 1190 might just add the grin factor that would be the deal maker. I like to canyon carve with some light off road exploration (right now), but I'm willing to try more off-roading. I'm here north of Atlanta, and typically ride up north to the Dragon, Cherohala, and other delightful roads, well, the Dragon is not delightful in all honesty. There is also some exploration potential near me too, which is what I seek.
I have a friend who owns a couple KTMs and I trust his opinion on the quality of the bikes, of course his are dirt bikes so I don't know too much about their "street" bikes.
I've been to many threads and seen some incredible pictures of the guys who own the 990s and 950s, this bike seems ideal for out west or southwestern US, even around the mid-west.
I look forward to following this 1190 and learning about it.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote