View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #101
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
therivermonster's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tacoma, WA
Oddometer: 308
I mentioned in a couple posts back that the mini fairing fisheyed again pretty bad when I was applying the finish layer of epoxy. This looked really bad, so I sanded back down to a fresh smooth surface to begin again.
I rubbed in a very thin layer of epoxy using the Breabaek technique. It worked well. Here is the fairing this morning. It actually looks better then in this picture.


While I was at it, I decided to try another paint scheme. Masking tape applied.


Here the design has been drawn on the masking and cut out.


After spraying the paint and a couple coats of clear, this is what we have. It's not perfect, but I learned a lot about applying a finish layer of resin, applying paint to that layer, and the effect that clear has on a resin finished carbon fiber part. These lessons are priceless.


Which scheme do you like better?


Now back to the DR exhaust shroud...

I sanded the shroud plug smooth with 220, then 400 grit sand paper.


I then sprayed a couple coats of rattle can clear coat on it. I'll spray more coats of clear, then wet sand it followed by buffing. Once I can achieve an A1 super smooth, shiney plug, only then we'll move on to laying up the mold.


More to come soon...
__________________
“Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves."

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber

therivermonster screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 07:53 AM
therivermonster is offline   Reply With Quote