View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #5463
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Forget for a moment that Adventures were created as a sharing media and Tracks are the universal path sharing data. Let's look at what can be placed in an Adventure when it is created in BaseCamp (where all Adventures are created). If one can place Routes in an Adventure that would indicate that one wanted to share that Route along with the Track(s) and other data. Considering that all of the Garmin GPS's that support Adventures also support Routing than it only makes sense that Routing be included in the Adventure management on the units. Why make it confusing - is the first point. And, why not make Routing a first-class player in the Adventure experience on the GPS - is the second point.

Cheers,

Well, the biggest issue being that routes are so mapset dependent. Maybe if Garmin actually put some effort forward in creating actual WORKING algorithms that would recalculate routes intelligently across different mapsets this wouldn't be an issue. I agree with you 100% that it would be nice to see this work. I was playing around with a route today that a buddy sent me. He created it on 2010.10 and when I try to recalculate it and then reshape it while using 2013.20 I can't get it to route the same. I know all the roads he's got routed STILL exist because I've ridden on them plenty. It's seriously frustrating that the algorithm is so flawed that it actually creates U turns rather then following the logical path simply because I changed the version of the mapset.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote