View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #143
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
/I for one would have liked to see a shaft drive but I am thinking it is a cost thing and possibly Suzuki trying to find something to offer that not as many others do in the big displacement ADV bike market./
Suzuki has made shaft drive bikes in the past and offers some cruisers that are shaft drive.

But I think the sportier bikes shy away from that. The Ducati Multistrada, Triumph Tiger 1050, New KTM Adventure are all heavier on the sport and lighter on the touring, and all have chain drives. I think Suzuki will maintain that focus, especially after Honda's shaft-drive middleweight failed.

A buddy has an interesting approach. He doesn't believe lubricating modern chains does any good so he doesn't do it. And he seems to replace his chains no more frequently than anyone else. So if you follow his approach, you get a lighter, more responsive bike and replace chain and sprockets every 20-30,000 miles. Other than an occasional adjustment, that's it.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote