View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #49
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Efficiency View Post
Its a good looking toolkit but a call to beemerboneyard and a trip to sears will save you about 100 bucks.

I put together a nice kit with all reverse torx, tork, hex and sockets I need, along with sidecuts supplies, screwdrivers etc. Far more than this kit has for way less than 60 bucks.

Then I got specialty tools like wheel removers filter wrenches spark plug tools... all of the above for about 50 bucks. Tool rol l from WalMart..
And what's your time worth running around procuring your bits and pieces? I recently joined the independent consultant ranks and bill out at $200/hr. That certainly gives you a perspective of what time is worth relative to being a salaried worker. Obviously a bored retiree will have a different perspective.

And after doing so, does you tool roll up small enough to fit under the seat? Maybe - if you've thrown out half the pieces you bought that don't need.

One thing I don't like about the AdvDesigns toolkit is the combination of pieces you need to use the small bits. You need the 3/8" ratchet, then the 3/8" to /4" adapter, then the 1/4" bit adapter, and then the bit. You end up with a number of pivot points which increases the likelihood of camming out if you're not careful. I'm going to augment the kit with a small bit ratchet soon to address this issue.

BigBadandUgly
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS

bigbadandugly screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 06:20 PM
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote