View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #20
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
Read the replys with caution. Most of the higher mileage references will be with the old 3.8 V6, the gutless POS from the minivan. I forget when (I think 2011?) the Jeep got a completely new engine that I have been told runs way better then the old one. And all this is completely different then the true old school 4.0 inline six. I recall that there are differences between the transmissions each time there is a change in engines as well. So filter carefully
Funny how the 3.8 is referred to by some folks as gutless compared to the 4.0 it replaced, yet it makes more horsepower, more torque, and gets better mileage. On the way out here to Moab at the top of last week I buried the speedo on flat ground at an altitude of 5000 feet. Not sure what you expect a Wrangler to do, and admittedly the new 3.6 makes a lot more horsepower. But that extra horsepower is at high RPM. It would be nice to have, but it isn't a necessity.

Having owned 5 Wranglers - including one 4 liter TJ - I find my current 2009 Rubicon to have similar performance to my previously owned TJ, and I know my rubi would handily beat my friend's TJ Sahara in a drag race. His TJ came with 30" tires and 3.73 gears. My Rubicon came with 255 (32.5") tires and 4.10 gears, so there's no real overall gearing advantage.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote