View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 04:31 AM   #12
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,053
I like those. I kinda want to get a set for my KLR, I'm at a crossroads right now deciding.

What happened is I was using my XR650R for 'adventure' riding, nothing more than weekend and day trips. A close friend has a KLR, and we were both wondering if we made the right choice. We switched bikes for 2 weeks for testing purposes, and decided nothing. I sometimes liked the KLR, sometimes missed my XR. He felt the same way. I put my ATV on craigslist, figured I'd see what happened. Not ready to give up the XR, but now I wanted a KLR. 3 weeks later we went on a weekend ride, and I was really wishing I had some luggage. I had a dry bag bungeed across the handlebars with the necessities and was wearing a backpack. It sucked.

At this point I figured nobody was going to bite on the ATV, so I ordered a Giant Loop Coyote. A few days later a kid called me, wanted to trade a 2005 KLR even up for my ATV. Money was fair, so we traded.

So now I have a brand new Giant Loop that fits great on my XR but fits kinda weird on the KLR. It would get the job done if needed, but there is a lot lost luggage space and it doesn't quite go down far enough. The weight would all be on top I think. I don't want to sell it because it's a good option for the XR, but I hate to have to buy another new luggage set.

Sorry about the long post. Basically I still have no idea what the heck I want to do.

A thought just popped in my head about getting the racks and bags for the KLR. Buy some pelican cases and design a system that will allow them to bolt to the wolf man racks without drilling the rack. Then reverse engineer the racks, and make a new set that will fit my Sportster. At that point I could use the same luggage for either bike. Use the Hardbags for commuting, soft bags on the KLR for and and all off-road where weight is a factor, and have options on either bike for whatever is needed. I doubt I'd use the soft bags on the Sportster much, but it's hard to say.
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote