View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #66
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,026
Cool2 RC8 power characteristics

From the words of the developers...

"The power is more geared towards a sports bike"

the LC8 is already slanted that way, I certainly don't want more of that when riding offroad. While some ask for 700/750 etc Adv's, an RC8 with smaller ports & valves & less overlap could make a stump-puller and STILL give us our "old" LC8 horsepower figures which are plenty for real-world use.

---

Being Service Manager at a KTM shop allows you to ride everything- service bikes & new models.

My opinion? In order:

the Super Duke is the best of all the LC8's
the Super Enduro is crazy-fun & sits well
the ADV works well everywhere if too tall for some
the SMT is OK but Honda-like in its vanilla-tude, high (hot) mufflers are NAFF on a sport-tourer
the SMR's are pretty much useless other than in town-even then they're too big & powerful to act as a supermoto- plus they pull your arms out of your sockets which gets old fast

the RC8's are track-bikes with a huge amount of power when spun up- I used to roadrace and I can see why they do well when they have a good rider & team backing it up. Very dedicated riding position.

the 690 Enduro has crap steering lock- worse than many sportbikes. The power is unreal & with some crash protection you could actually use the bike offroad. Super-hot muffler
the 690 Super Duke was built for sidewalk style- the ergonomics suck and keep you from riding the bike as hard as that engine wants, and the wheel sizes & geometry are off- not one customer has ever come close to the edge of their tires, and I can't do much better on test rides. Oh and they shake like hell...
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote