View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #151
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Not to mention the production costs of a shaft vs. a chain.
Actually I wonder, why no manufacturer has made an ADV bike with a “boxed” or enclosed chain drive?? It has only a few small downsides: takes a bit more work to adjust it, and it could make changing tyres a bit harder (that however depends on the solution).

But on the other hand, it has more or less all the upsides: simplicity, weight (the box does not need to weight much at all), and durability fully comparable to a shaft drive (I mean the good ones, that you DONīT need to work on too often!) Plus when it is inside a box, on oil bath and lubricated 100% all the time, it wonīt get dirty, and the need to even adjust it becomes very small. So regarding maintenance, it is almost like a well-working shaft drive.

Maybe it is a cost issue on a bike like the DL1000 (but I donīt believe it would be on all current large-capacity allroad-bikes). Also maybe all buyers would not like the looks of it. But if I was looking for a bike to go RTW, this kind of solution would be in one word perfect for me, and I could not care less about its looks.

There used to be enclosed chains on bikes, but that was a long time ago. Maybe the manufacturers donīt actually want the chains to last 40-60 thousand miles afterall, and the average user doesnīt care, if they last 20 or 40 thousand. But on a real RTW-tourer, this would be the way to go.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 11:18 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote