View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #117
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ven Moto View Post
I seem to recall Ara recently posting something about his new Ural getting approx. 100mpg. I wonder if that's serious? If so, is that fully loaded or just with Spirit onboard? What kind of mileage are you folks getting from your rig?

Doubling my GSA's gas mileage would be one hell of a reason to trade, (up/down?).
Not likely!

At 55mph (+/-5) on level terrain I got 37.2mpg with the GSA fully loaded with Barley, four gallons of water, my beer and his kibble, plus all our camping gear. That was on US 24 from El Paso IL to Mansfield OH. Coming back from Sedalia MO on I-70 -- traveling fast at night to escape the 105+ heat and again fully loaded -- we averaged 29.6mpg at 80mph on a 600 mile day. The worst mileage I ever got was 20.4mpg into a brutal headwind that held my speed down to about 70mph in fifth gear.

I generally average 36mpg while exploring our rural mountain roads, 30mpg in spirited driving. Wind seems to be a mileage killer; the large profile of the rig has a heck of a sail area.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote