View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #3706
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
My Recommendion:

From Cusco, ride to the Salt Pans of Maras (only 2 hrs, and absolutely amazing). From Maras, down the hill to Urumbamba. If you spend half the day being in awe of the thousand-year-old salt farming heratage (as I was) you can stay in Urumbamba. I stayed in a 5 Star resort there for $35.

From there, you can cross the awesome Abra de Malaga pass at 14K+ ft, make a left turn in Santa Maria, and ride to Santa Teresa (an incredible village where a mountain slide killed 60% of the town population), and store your bike there. Local cabs will take you to Hydro Electrica where it is a quick train ride to the base of Machu Picchu, Aguas Callientes.

Last year there was no extra charge for the ticket to Hyannas Picchu; it is allocated based on when you arrive at the trailhead and make your request. Due to the treacherous hike, only a limited number of hikers are permitted to attempt the climb each day. More tourists die here than nearly anyplace else in South America. Trust me, it is a sketchy hike at best, but the views are worth it if you are not surrounded by mist.

After Machu Picchu, I highly recommend the 3 hour ride to Quillabamba, a wonderful jungle village to enjoy the great food, friendly locals, and reflect on your trip to Machu Picchu.

All the Best,
Thanks so much to the great insight. Always great to get recommendations from others that have done it!! This is basically what I had decided to do, except will probably park my bike at Hydro Electric and go up to Aguas. See MP then back down to St Theresa!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote