View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #117
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
I'm beginning to think I liked it better when we were 1% - ers. Back then the dorks who are now road hogs were all kept in cars. But their attitude sure hasn't changed: they still hate bikers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
But it is symmetrical. Both simply want to enjoy their ride and to do so without being f'ed with. If the passer expects the slower rider to pull into a pull-off then the person pulling over IS having their ride interfered with. I am by no means defending intentional blocking, merely pointing out that expecting others to get off of "your" road so that you can act like Johnny Racer Boy unencumbered isn't a reasonable expectation. Getting angry that they are simply riding along while obeying the law is illogical and unwarranted.
I explained WHY it is NOT symmetrical -- if slow guy lets fast guy by, BOTH get to enjoy their rides; if he doesn't, then one or both of them does not. How can you argue with that?

Quote:
What are you driving, a manure spreader? If not, and you're riding a bike, try moving over four feet. I can make room for bikes when I'm driving a car without having to pull off the road. How is this even an issue? Unless you are driving a piece of farm equipment, of course.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Around here, pulling over to let faster traffic pass is practiced so often it is part of the local social mores.

Sorry it's not where you're at.
And this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
To me if a faster rider is on your tail, and you continue riding your ride ignoring it, you are blocking. Ease over a little, and wave them on through, it's not only courteous, but the smart thing to do.
And this.

Quote:
Yes, you are rationalizing people blocking roads based on their interpretation of self-appreciated road-happiness. But of course, that's a totally, self-indulgent delusion. Or, as Freud would say:

"The oral stage begins at birth, when... the child preoccupies himself with nursing, with the pleasure of sucking and accepting things into the mouth. The oral character who is frustrated at this stage, whose mother refused to nurse him on demand or who truncated nursing sessions early, is characterized by pessimism, envy, suspicion, sarcasm... and blocking roads."
And this.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (235,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote