View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #48
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 266
Day 6

Dingle

Woke up jazzed knowing today was the Ring of Kerry. But first some hot breakfast action...

Smoked salmon, eggs, and smoked salmon.. Errmeherd

After breakfast I was trying to figure out a way to debulk my backpack as it was gaining in size with souvenirs. My girlfriend at the time insisted that I take travel underwear with me so I could do laundry on the fly and in the sink. As usual she was right, the underwear were magical as underwear can be. Time to get rid of the cotton spiderman underwear and a couple cotton tshirts.

Bag debulked.

Before taking off I talked the bartender on the way out to make sure I wasn't going to miss some good roads as I took off out of town for the ring. She highly recommended hitting the Dingle peninsula before I head out. Sounds phallic, I'll check it out.

What an asshole.

In hind sight, the Dingle peninsula may have actually been the single most spectacular ride of the trip. It took me forever to cover a very short distance as I couldn't stay on the bike. Beautiful area, cold as balls.

My favorite teacher from elementary school was nice enough to give me some advice on which direction to take the ring to avoid being stuck behind the tour buses. On to the ring.

Pulled into Cork in the evening and wasn't too impressed considering what I was looking for. It looked like a cool city with a decent nightlife but that wasn't intimate small town experience I was looking for so I kept driving. Wound up getting lost and arriving at a bar in Middleton to use some wifi and figure out where to hold up for the night. Turns out the original Jameson Distillery was right down the street, too bad they're already closed for the night. Looked at a map with the bartender and she pointed out a little fishing town called Ballycotton to the south that supposed to be good for views. I arrived in Ballycotton around 9:00pm and found a beautiful little BnB called the Schooner Tavern that still had the bar open.

Thank god for the fireplace.

As I arrived late in the evening, all the restaurants in town were closed so I was SOL in trying to find food. After hearing the last thing I ate was breakfast, Mike the owner of the place went and reopened the kitchen and threw together a sandwich and some soup that damn near made me emotional. Of all the places I stayed this trip, I could not have been any happier with my stay at the Schooner Tavern. Mike and Brid are a quality of people you rarely come across, they're both wonderful people and I feel lucky to have met them. Mike also spent some time with me at the bar on his laptop planning the rest of my trip to make sure I made the most of my last couple days. Again, great people, when I come back to Ireland with my dad next year I will go out of my way to stop here again.

Next: Ballycotton to Rathdrum
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote