View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
motoretro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
You're right on the money, the starter system on this scooter is odd to say the least. I thought about a Gel battery although not sure if one is avaialable. I believe the original battery was around 11 AH *. Serial number plate states motor is 244cc although like anything 50 years old, it could have been switched out at sometime. From my investigation, it appears this scooter may have sat at the Distributor's for a few years as the serial # indicates somewhere in 1959-60 production. At this time I need to sort things out enough to get it started before throwing a bunch of money in paint and chrome at it for restoration. Last plate say's 1991 and guy I purchased it from said it ran when put away in the barn.
Thanks,
Motoretro

* looks like a 6N11A-1B will fit well although a 6N11-2D will also although not as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
This. Get a gel battery.

I had one of those scooters years ago. The starter setup is really weird. It bounces the engine back and forth against compression until it makes it over TDC and fires up. Aside from the starter-generator and cooling fan, the bottom end is stock Maico motorcycle. Yours may actually be 277 cc judging from the date. The cylinder and head are unique to the scooter. The porting is designed for torque, and the piston skirt has transfer ports in it. I used a 277 scooter piston and barrel in my Maico enduro sidecar rig back then.

motoretro screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 01:43 PM
motoretro is offline   Reply With Quote