View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkycheezmonky View Post
I am considering "upgrading" my boots to something a bit more riding-appropriate. I've been using some heavier Merrell hiking boots for the past few years, which leaves a lot to be desired from a safety standpoint. I've been lucky up to this point and have crash-tested them only into grass or softer dirt, but the more street riding I do the more I want to not grind away my ankle bones. This is what I'm currently using for reference:
I just picked up a pair of Fly Racing Maverik ATV boots. Cycle Gear, Motorcycle Superstore, Bike Bandit, Iron Pony, and a few other vendors probably have them for less than $100US, and I know that at least Cycle Gear can get replacement parts if you break a buckle or something. They are WAY more toe/instep/ankle/achilles/shin/calf protection than hiking/work boots. I can wear them all day, offroad or on. I had to move my shifter up a notch though, even with lowered footpegs. I wear a 9EEE, and they fit my width OK, running fairly true to size. Allow some time to get used to shifting with stiff boots. It's definitely not like riding with hiking/work boots.

There is also a MX/Enduro version of the boot that is full height, but the ATV version works well with my knee/shin armor. The full-height version wouldn't work as well with the shin part of the armor. These are a simple boot. There isn't much to them besides shell/padding/buckles/sole, so don't expect a $300 MX raceboot, but they work great for the budget-minded commuter that wants to ride trails for fun after work/school. I even wore them for a 600-something-mile trip to ride trails in N GA for a weekend, then back. I might add a gel insole for walking-around comfort, but they don't really NEED it. Try a pair on at a local vendor. Cycle Gear, and several of the others, have a great return policy if they aren't your thing.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote