View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,122
Laugh First ride on the dirt

Where is somebody filming for youtube when you need them? I would have gotten the award for the biggest doufus on a dual sport (moron on a motorcycle)

Picked up my new xt250 3 weeks ago and have been thoroughly enjoying myself on pavement. On the way home today I thought "I should ride some of those dirt roads I used to drive in my truck when I had friends living there!" So, off we go for our first "dirt" experience.

Started fine, hit the dirt road and then had to carefully negotiate up a hill with lots of deep potholes and ruts (ones I would have tried to not put a tire into in my truck), everything OK so far, sped up a bit, crested the hill and OH SHIT, I forgot how steep the other side of the hill is and the road conditions are worse Barely slow down in time and creep down the other side of the hill with the clutch in and gripping the front brake (yeah, I know). Second hill is worse.....creep up, end up on the wrong side of the road because of avoiding ruts and just ended up over there because I was more focused on finding the easiest way up instead of the fact I could get creamed by a car coming the other way and ruin their day, ended up stopping about 3/4 the way up and have to start again, crept down the other side. I tried to go down the second hill in 1st, but the low gear wasn't really holding back the bike (again, used to 1st in the truck, you can crawl up and down over anything in first). Back to the clutch and brake.

So, I've never ridden dirt on a bike, done a lot of road - completely comfortable. But now, oh my gosh, I have to learn how to ride all over again!!

I can't even tell you how glad I am that I bought the xt250 instead of something bigger - I would have been laying on my side wondering what happened.

Hit some easier washboardie roads and then the front tire hit some sand........Stayed up (not because of any talent of mine, but dumb luck) and finally hit the pavement.

So, here's the really funny part - when I bought the new bike I was imagining myself riding the LA to Las Vegas run coming up :loll:loll What a moron!!!

Met a friend for a margarita before heading home - while I was waiting I called my brother to tell him what a dumbass I am.

So, the plan. Tomorrow, go ride those roads again, and again, and again (staying on the right side of the road). But I think I'll take the mirrors off before I hit the dirt........Glad I took a picture of my bike when I bought it, it's not going to look that nice for long!!

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote