View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #330
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,533
so the bike was laying on its side.... pointing the wrong way down a steep, greasy, rocky eroded hill...

i had a bruised foot, bung thumb, bruised arse and thigh, and a big lump on me shin...
and a multitude of other minor bruises and scratches...

it was drizzling, snow was expected, and the waterproofing on tent had decided to fail...

i was about 7km from a larger track that was a dead end road, which at this time of year,
and with this weather would have absolutly no traffic..

life was good............

given the wet clay and the angle of the bike it took a few go's to stand her up..

i inspected the damage...

snapped off mirror,
bent barkbusters,
snapped off left boot exhaust heat guard,
snapped off front right indicator
and a stack more scratches...

i was surprised, the windscreen was scratched but not broken..

headlight and instrumentation all looked ok too...

i figured i should find out if she'd re-start.....she did...

but she was pointing down-hill

i didnt want to take her back down to the last flat spot to turn around, as
i had made it a fair way up this stretch... there was still prob 20-30 metres to go up to the next flatter bit...

there was a lot of drops trying to turn her around... i'd gotten her kinda almost sideways, but it had started bucketing down...

another drop.... and she'a almost upside down.... i'm kinda physically buggered.... i decide to unpack her a bit to get a bit lighter...

since is raining pretty hard, i take tent and struggle on foot to getup this section of hill... i keep walking for a few hundred metres
until i find a bit of a clearing and set-up tent in the rain... i'm figuring i'm not gonna be able to get bike out today.....

i go back down to bike and get therm-a rest, drinking water and a few other things from the bike as a river of muddy water flows down the hill and under the bike....
then climb back up to tent and escape the rain for a while...

i pull out my phone to see it i can get an update on the weather... phone is dead....

i sit in the tent contemplating... the roof starts dripping onto the floor...

a lot goes thru your head while you're soaking wet, sitting in a leaking tent, battered and bruised, 80kms from anywhere, waiting for snow with no way out..
GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote