View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I just picked up a pair of Fly Racing Maverik ATV boots. Cycle Gear, Motorcycle Superstore, Bike Bandit, Iron Pony, and a few other vendors probably have them for less than $100US, and I know that at least Cycle Gear can get replacement parts if you break a buckle or something. They are WAY more toe/instep/ankle/achilles/shin/calf protection than hiking/work boots. I can wear them all day, offroad or on. I had to move my shifter up a notch though, even with lowered footpegs. I wear a 9EEE, and they fit my width OK, running fairly true to size. Allow some time to get used to shifting with stiff boots. It's definitely not like riding with hiking/work boots.

There is also a MX/Enduro version of the boot that is full height, but the ATV version works well with my knee/shin armor. The full-height version wouldn't work as well with the shin part of the armor. These are a simple boot. There isn't much to them besides shell/padding/buckles/sole, so don't expect a $300 MX raceboot, but they work great for the budget-minded commuter that wants to ride trails for fun after work/school. I even wore them for a 600-something-mile trip to ride trails in N GA for a weekend, then back. I might add a gel insole for walking-around comfort, but they don't really NEED it. Try a pair on at a local vendor. Cycle Gear, and several of the others, have a great return policy if they aren't your thing.

I have a pair of the Maericks as well and I agree they are a well made boot, I have one problem though. If you walk any distanc ein them the plastic on the inside of the boot will dig into your leg something fierce.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote