View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #24
hardroadking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
DR 650 1,487 miles Newark OH to Steamboat Springs, CO

Last month, September 2012 I missed the trailer heading out west for our anual dirt ride. I did some work on the motor the night before leaving, screwed things up and the bike was not operational until two days later. Rode straight through from Newark, Ohio to Steamboat Springs, CO. Total miles 1,487. Had 3 long stops, about an hour each and then multiple shorter stops for gas, food, rest, etc... Put on 16 tooth front sprocket so motor cruised comfortably at 85mph and the majority of my ride was at this speed. Bike has 9 gallon Safari fuel tank and a small windshield I installed just for this road trip, I have to say this single cylinder thumper did not wear me out like I thought it might. It was just the cumulative time in the saddle and I probably would have felt just as beat if I had ridden a Gold Wing. It was not a fun ride by any means and this 55 year old will not do that again (rented storage unit for bike and left it in CO. Next year fly out and back...YES !!!!) Found myself hallucinating several times during the ride which is my brains way of saying, get the hell off the road you idiot and rest for awhile...which I did. I wasn't trying to see how far I could go in 24 hours, I was just trying to get to a destination and I knew if I started feeling bad enough, I would pull over and get a room. I would not recommend that anyone start a long trip with the object of doing X,XXX miles in a day. Your state of mind, your rest the night before, your level of stress, your bike, the weather, the roads, the traffic, the food you eat during the trip all will contribute to determining how far you can safely go in 24 hours. I think I need to take my own advice. Good Luck
2000 Suzuki DRZ-400E
2003 Road King classic
hardroadking is offline   Reply With Quote