View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #694
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruis_Rider View Post
Rode the BRT from VA 460 near Eggleston to 612 near I77 / Bastian, VA with a buddy on Friday. All sections were open. I was on a BMW XChallenge loaded for a weekend of camping. The other bike was an unburdened KTM 640. All in all, a lot of fun.

Hogback mountain has some pretty wet sections (read: VERY wet ) and had potential for ruining a day, but we were OK.

Nice! Hogback was messy on a dry June day.. I can only imagine when it's muddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo_4_vt
Did all the hard sections from Front Royal down to Staunton and back up Skyline drive this past weekend. Had a great time.

Only word of caution for those that pack heavy like me. Taskers was pretty tricky and I didn't realize you needed to buy a permit about 20 minutes away from the entrance to get access. Still a lot of fun, just consisted of crawling in 1st instead of blasting through because of all the of gear I had.j
Sounds like a blast. Did you run into the S500 riders at all?

The warning I include in the files - for those curious:

Quote:
Forest Roads / Trails that I would be especially cautious of are: Shoe Creek 243 (Rough Jeep Road), Iron Mountain 301 (Ridgeline Single Track), Peters Mill Run 1702 (Pay OHV Route), Big Walker Mtn 206 (Overgrown / Some ROW confusion with the USFS), Bailey Gap 177.4 (Mud holes and rutted), VEPCO Rd 240 (Rocky, not big bike friendly), Round Mountain 668 (Gate closed on 6/20/2011 - closed through this summer for trail building according to the USFS. Take FDR610 instead into Burkes Garden. This is a detour in yellow out of Bastian)

I would also be especially mindful of water levels and rain - especially in early spring. There are many water crossings and mud holes on this route and given a torrential downpour or hard winter they could be very deep.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote