Thread: Celicas
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #41
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Klaun View Post
If I remember correctly, didn't the Toyota factory team get caught cheating with their turbos, or some piece thereof, that was machined to allow more air intake? I seem to recall reading this some years back and Toyota pulled out of WRC "ashamed"... I know somebody around here must know the story better than I.
From wikipedia:

"In 1993 Toyota Motor Corporation bought TTE which then renamed Toyota Motorsport GmbH (TMG). At this time, as a fully owned part of Toyota Motor Corporation, Toyota Motorsport were employing 300 staff from 17 nations.

In 1995 TTE was famously banned for 12 months from the WRC for cheating by designing a illegal air restrictor on the ST205 that included both a bypass mechanism and spring-loaded devices to conceal it from scrutineers.[1] In the 1996 and 1997, despite lack of works team appearance in 1996 due to the ban, TTE supported the Celica ST205 rallied by Italian HF Grifone Team, Toyota Team Sweden, Marlboro Toyota Team Belgium, and Tein Sport in the selected WRC events, before introduced the Corolla WRC in the 1997 Rally of Finland. When they returned to the WRC for 1998, they did so with a Corolla WRC driven by the crews of Carlos Sainz/Luis Moya and Didier Auriol/Denis Giraudet. They finished the season in second overall in both the Drivers' and Constructors' Championships.

In 1999, however, the manufacturers championship was taken, the third in TTE's existence."
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote