View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #27
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,331
Back when I was doing some long distance riding on a Honda Rebel, which does not have a centerstand, but does have tube type tires, I built a bolt on sidestand for the right side. Basically it was just a piece of 1/2" pipe welded to a flat 1/4" thick steel plate at an angle. I drilled 2 holes in the plate, that matched the holes on the footpeg bracket. To use it, I put a piece of 2x4 under the stock sidestand, to get the bike as vertical as possible, and to take some of the strain off the stock stand and it's welded on mounting bracket (I have seen more than one bike with the sidestand bracket broke right off the frame) Then I had to remove the right side footpeg bracket, push the bike to the left to raise the wheels off the ground, and bolt on the homemade stand to the frame to hold it in that position. A lot of trouble yes, and not something I would use for routine chain maintenance, but it could be a lifesaver out on the side of the road when you had a flat tire. Because it bolted to the bike with two bolts, there was no way it could slip and let the bike fall while a wheel was off. This worked on the Rebel, because of it's small size and light weight. It would not likely work on a large streetbike. I was going to make one to fit my XT225, which also has the left footpeg bracket attached with 2 bolts, but before I got around to it, I found the guy that was making the centerstands and immediately ordered one. Best investment I've ever made for that bike. I can now ride way out into the middle of nowhere, and not have to worry about flat tires. The XT225 is a small lightweight bike, and at home I often set it up on a 5 gallon bucket when I want both wheels off the ground at once. But you are not likely to find a 5 gallon bucket out on the trail.

I have asked a few Harley riders what they do in case of a flat tire while riding a bike with tube type tires, and their answer has always been the same. A cell phone and a road service plan. I sure hope they don't get stuck where their cell phone don't work. I'm thinking about getting one of those SPOT gadgets.

BTW, you can get aftermarket centerstands for both the DR650 and KLR650 from two or three different places. My former '01 KLR had one from DualStar.

Oh, and for something funny, not too long after getting my '09 Stella, I was riding with a few other Stella and vintage Vespa riders. We were not very far from civilization, but were out on the road nevertheless. Now, these scooters have a spare tire, just like a car, already mounted on a spare wheel. When the scooter is on the centerstand, unlike a motorcycle, where the rear wheel is off the ground, it is the front wheel that is off the ground. I carry a piece of 2x4 to shove under the gearbox to raise the rear end. But the one guy that had a flat had a performance exhaust, and it prevented removing the rear wheel. You first had to remove the exhaust, which was red hot. So we all spent about an hour waiting for the exhaust to cool and this guy to remove his exhaust, change the wheel, and put the exhaust back on. I guess he either never thought of that, or didn't care. If you are willing to spend the money, you can buy one piece wheels for the Stella and vintage Vespas that allow the use of tubeless tires. But I guess that isn't the status symbol that a loud aftermarket pipe is. Many riders used to remove their centerstands (back when many bikes actually came with them) to install an aftermarket exhaust. I guess I just think about things differently. I have never been a boy scout, but I am a firm believer in their motto "BE PREPARED"

It is also completely unnecessary for any motorcycle to even use tube type tires, especially one designed for road use. BMW has been using tubeless spoke type wheels for a long time, but apparently only on the models they build, not the chain drive singles. The R1200GS uses them, as did the R1200C. Honda used them way back in '86 on the '86 and '87 Rebel 450, The ONLY bike they ever used them on. Over a quarter century later, those wheels are still holding up fine.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote