Originally Posted by moto-treks
I would have to agree that there should not be any active electrical components in the cable. My thought was that the Montana sensed it was in the Rugged Mount and just stayed on/when into sleep mode - or something.
May take more than 24 hours to drain the battery. I know I've left mine in for a day or two and it still had power; meaning it turned on. But for sure after a week or two its dead. Come to think of it, I've not tried this with the lastest firmware - maybe something has been fixed
I'll go stick it in the mount and see what happens.
Oh, I thought Emmbeedee was going to try the disconnected mount experiment for us
as I would have to get out the soldering gun or wire cutters to disconnect the power from my mount.
The only way the Montana would know if it were in the mount would be if there were an active component in the cable or even a resistor between input lines so that the Montana's power management circuitry could detect the condition. I've disassembled a Montana mount cable end-to-end and there are no such components. So, the only way the battery can drain in a short (few days) amount of time is if the battery is bad or there is a problem in the Montana itself.
The Montana does completely shut down when power is removed and the unit is "told" to power off. Just like if you remove the battery. There is no circuit board battery that keeps the "unit" alive when the external battery is removed.