View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Flying Frisian OP
Born to Ride

Oddometer: 197
I decided to take the roads less traveled around Mt. Hood to avoid traffic and squaring off my new Pirelliís. After a few miles on the I-205 I take the 213 in Oregon City and make my way via the back roads to Estacada. In Estacada I take the 224, which follows the Clackamas River towards Detroit.

The road from Estacada to Detroit and back is one of my favorite rides! I usually leave early morning and stop in Detroit for lunch and gas. There is no gas between Estacada and Detroit so make sure you have plenty of fuel before you take this road. There is usually very little traffic and the road is twisty and in pretty good condition. The road is open during the winter months but is not plowed, so once the snow starts falling it will be closed. Most of the snow is gone by late May to early June.

On this trip I am not going all the way to Detroit but take the NF57 towards Timothy Lake just past the ranger station at the midway point.

Here it is time for a short stop at the ranger station:

After my stop at the ranger station I take a left onto the NF57 and head towards Oregon 26. Before I get to Timothy Lake, the NF57 splits into NF58, which is a paved road and Timothy Lake Rd which is a gravel road. I decide to take the paved road since my RT is not made for gravel. Once I get to the Skyline road I turn back west to take a picture of Timothy Lake and Mt. Hood.

Flying Frisian is online now   Reply With Quote