View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Flying Frisian OP
Born to Ride

Oddometer: 173
After stopping at Timothy Lake for a picture, I head back east on the Skyline Road towards Oregon 26. Since there won’t be any fuel stops in the dessert east of Mt. Hood I decide to take the 26 towards Mt. Hood to get some fuel. It takes about 30 minutes but I get to see Mt. Hood from up close, which is awesome!
Every time I see Mt. Hood or any of the other big volcanos in the northwest I am in awe.
I am from The Netherlands (low lands), where everything is flat as a pancake so whenever I see a mountain I am ecstatic!

With enough fuel for the next 250 miles I head southeast on Oregon 26 and take the 216 towards Maupin. Once the 216 meets the 197, I head north for a few miles and make a little detour to see the Deschutes River Falls.

After the falls I take a road that follows the Deschutes River back to Maupin. Maupin is a small town with some restaurants and it's known for river rafting tours during the summer months.

Some more pictures of the Deschutes River:

The river has 2 different colors. The reason for the 2 colors is the fact that there is a small side river that meets the Deschutes River. This side river brings lots of sand with it. It is amazing to see that the 2 flows of clear and sandy water stay separate for quite some time.
Flying Frisian is offline   Reply With Quote