View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Flying Frisian OP
Born to Ride

Oddometer: 102
By the time I leave Maupin it is about 12:30 PM. I decide to get to my favorite motorcycle road and then stop somewhere for lunch (Iím cheap! Remember I am from Holland (Dutch) so I brought my ham and cheese sandwich).

I take the 197 out of Maupin towards the 97. The 197 is a beautiful road with amazing desert views and fast sweepers. Once I reach the 97 I head northeast towards the ghost town of Shaniko. In Shaniko I take the 218 towards the town of Fossil. This 218 is one of my favorite if not the most favorite roads in Oregon. This road has hairpins, twisties, fast sweepers, NO traffic and the asphalt is perfect! I try riding this road at least twice a year and I NEVER see other motorcycle riders. This road must be the best kept secret in Oregon. Below youíll find some pictures taken from the side of the road.
Notice the difference in landscape between the ealier green Mt. Hood pictures and the desert landscape east of the Cascade mountain range:

Halfway between Shaniko and Fossil I stop at the John Day Fossil Beds for lunch and some pictures. This is the perfect place for some food and if youíre up to it you can hike up some trail to get closer to the fossil beds and beautiful rock formations. I have done this before so I eat my sandwich.

Flying Frisian is offline   Reply With Quote