View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Flying Frisian OP
Born to Ride

Oddometer: 217
The temperature has climbed to 77*F and itís time to remove the liner from my jacket. With my belly filled and bladder emptied I continue on the 218 and head towards the small town of Fossil. If you need fuel at this point there is a pump in town but they sell only regular fuel and an octane booster if needed.
I donít need fuel so I take 19 and head southeast. The landscape changes again and there are now some forests in the desert. After about 15 miles (I could be off 5 miles either way) I get to the 207. My plan was to drive to the town of John Day, but this is another 95 miles from this point so I decide to take the 207 south and make my way slowly back west. The picture below is the John Day River at the junction of the 19 and the 207.

The 207 is another awesome motorcycle road. The tarmac is perfect, there is NO traffic and the views are spectacular. It is continuous cornering heaven! The following pictures were taken on the 207:
With bike:

and without:

At this point the screen of the RT is covered with bugs but it has done a great job keeping my helmet clean!

I didn't take pictures of the best twisties because I had too much fun to stop!
The picture below shows some of the painted rocks found throughout the John Day area:

The 207 continues south and meets Oregon 26 near Mitchel.,

I took the 26 west towards Prineville where I needed to refuel and from there I continued via Madras and Mt. Hood back to the Portland area. I rode about 600 miles and saw mountains, forests, lakes, rivers and the desert all in 1 day! As I mentioned earlier, the Pacific Northwest is one of the best places on earth. Where else can you see all this in a days ride.
Flying Frisian is offline   Reply With Quote