Thread: Bad Luck
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
bighairless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
I guess a big difference between us, (I apologize if I'm making a wrong assumption here) is that I commute the same routes every day and know where their routine crossings are for some added peace of mind.
Put me in a new area and I'll take the time to get to look for their crossing paths before I have any fun on the new roads.
As for my skills carrying me through, I learned a few things the hard way but, can say in retrospect, all of my get offs have been my fault due to ignorance. = I'm not so ignorant anymore and with my aged skills (accident free all-weather/snow rider now for the past 15 yrs)...I feel more aware than ever before.
If situational awareness is ignorance = I'm blessed with a shit-ton of it.

I've hit 1 deer in my past, and even then; managed to scrub off enough speed while staying upright, that I came to a stop under the bastards belly and got to watch it try and tangle itself in the spokes of my front wheel as it lept for its life. We both went our seperate paths unharmed. (and yet!...I still can't hit the lottery)
Peripheral vision = it's a wonderful thing to use. (I've learned there's lots to be seen through all the dense scrub-brush if you learn what to look for...and my polarized lenses help an awful lot, as do all-weather amber lights {that show improved contrast @ night} vs the normal white/blue headlights that everyone else sticks with.)

HID lights might be brighter but, it doesn't mean that you can see more.
It sounds like you are very aware of the dangers and have put some thought into avoiding it, however, your ignorance IMHO is thinking your peripheral vision/amber lights/polarized lenses/critter habit knowledge/seeing through dense scrub brush will make any getoff your fault if you strike an animal (or it strikes you).

I started hunting deer in the early 80's ....I currently gather info for a large university and the DNR on local critters. I spend about 20 hours a week (typically more) for a couple/few months every spring in the bush...I can you tell you the habits of creatures in mind numbing detail...from the mating habits of northern bullsnakes to where does like to give birth to young. Do you know the two months that have the most deer/vehicle collisions and why? (no need to answer) I'm not trying to have a measuring contest but your reasoning used to dissagree with 'no fault of their own' is off. -Your abilities may exceed mine but I'm not ill prepared.

A deer can run over 30 mph...some claim 40. Lets stick with a conservative 30 for the sake of this example. -A deer can easily cover 44 feet in a second...near 30 feet in one leap. So if the deer is 44 feet from where it will occupy your space it can get there in less than a second. Your reaction time is what? ..because there won't be time for any decision making analysis.

My deer hit: seeing deer is no shocker, I thought about the risk the morning I hit the deer before leaving on the bike and during the ride...paying attention has allowed me to miss a few deer and turkeys. I went back to the scene a couple of times, I wanted to learn from it and avoid it if possible...The deer came out from behind some scrub that I could not see through standing right next to it (tried it). The edge of the scrub was about 30 feet from point of impact. My earliest memory of seeing the deer was when it was about 10 feet from the scrub. I think I caught movement with peripheral and by the time my eyes were lined up the deer had covered the 10 feet because she was bringing the mail. I figure I had less than 7 tenths of a second until impact from when the deer's nose poked out from behind the scrub.

Figure 2 tenths of second reaction time...5 tenths of a second to slow down. Can you significantly alter course in 5 tenths? Even if you can, could you pick the correct direction? Will the deer pick the correct direction? And 5 tenths would have been reacting to the nose of the deer clearing the scrub. Absolute perfection -not likely.

There is no way to know for certain when I hit the binders time wise. I know the front suspension (wr) was fully compressed and the rear tire was howling when I left the bike. Could I have done better? I tend to think there is always room for improvement but given the amount of time involved (probably near half a second from recognition and then subtract the reaction time), what could be done?