View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #335
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,300
so, i've been debating for a few months what to do with this next part of the trip... should i just skip over the finer
detail and move on... thats easy.. and was appealing for a long time...

then i figured naa.. i'd go into minute detail...

and i did just start typeing the detail... but in the end i just want to get on with the next bit of the story...

so..

i ended up getting a small bit of charge in phone... which was pretty quickly used up with phone telling me about missed calls and messages...

i ended up talking to a bloke in the State Emergency Service... I told him i wasnt injured or in dire trouble... but if it snowed i would be
since there was now half an inch of water in the base of my tent...and i'd rather have a chat to him now than when/if this blow out to an emergency

he said he'd give me a call back in a few mins...

in the meantime i got a call from inmate Philmeup (who you all know from earlier rides in this thread)
he said he'd get some stuff together and head up to Licola... (dont forget the beer Phil!)

spoke to the SES guy again and he said some Forrestry guys were coming out near here to check some stuff at an
emergency airstrip nearby... and they would pick me up from the main track 6 km up ahead...
they said there was no way they were coming down my track in their 4wd... i'd have to walk out..

so bike was left sideways across the track on her side... panniers 50m further up the track... helmet at the next landing..

i pulled out 2 drybags from the panniers... put a pair of dry jeans, socks, runners and t-shirts etc in one,
sleepingbag, some nuts, tuna, phone, gps etc in the other..

i took off my soaked riding pants, put on some dry thermal long-johns and waterproof overpants grabbed my half full waterbottle
and limped off up the hill in the rain..

the 6km took i dunno... prob 1.5 hours... it rained the whole way... but timing was perfect..
the forrestry guys rocked up exactly the same time as me...

they did the proper medical checks for hypothermia etc... i got out of my wet gear and into my spare dry stuff...
and with a thermos of warm tea i got in the back of the 4wd for a nice dry warm trip back to Licola... top blokes those 2!

i wasnt back in Licola long... just enough time to pay for the cabin again, do some paperwork with the forrestry guys
and get the boots in front of the heater when Phil rocked up..

awww that beer was good...

so was the hot shower...

i couldnt sit on a toilet thou..

next day we did a run into Heywood to get some supplies... and lined up a few guys to come out the next day for a bike rescue mission....

so the next day 5 of us headed off out into the forrest.... in a 4wd with a trailer carrying a dirtbike... forget what it was... suzuki i think...

anyway we got to the start of my track, unloaded the bike, unhitched the trailer and the guy who's bike
it was (who'd placed fairly high in a few APC rallys etc),geared up and
buggered off down the track to check out the situation while we drove in at a slower pace...

over the radio we heard he'd got there... and asked where my keys were... pocket of bike pants in the tent was my reply...
hmm he said... there's an inch of water in your tent...

we got to my camp and jumped out... to the sound of a bike comin up the hill.... didnt sound like mine....
Phil swore it was... and sure enough over the hill came my bike....
(funny how your bike sounds different when your not on it)

i packed up wet tent etc... and was a little concerned about how bike was getting out the rest of the way...

when i asked this question... of course everyone looked at me with blank looks and said without
any thought that anything else was an option and said..' your riding it out'..

hmm..

confidence had taken a beating... but didnt really have a choice... and i spose it would perhaps give me just a tiny bit of credibility...

so i pulled on the cold wet helmet that had spent 2 nights out in the rain...

and rode out the last 6kms without stopping....

we loaded both bikes onto the trailer for the last 70-odd km back to Licola..

Again the beer was good...

i still couldnt sit on a toilet...

Phil stayed again that night.... and we spent the evening re-attaching indicators, straightening barkbusters and fixing other bits n pieces...

the next day we were off as it was saturday and tonight we had to get up to central Victoria for Whitta's birthday bash....

Phil left about an hour earlier than me and headed back thru Melbourne to pick up his missus...
i headed off along a decent dirt road towards Jamieson (without any plans to take short-cuts)..

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote