View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #18
taosgsr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Nice Trail!

To start I must say that that is the nicest BLM staging area I have ever seen! I followed your advice?- North on Side winder South on red rocks. Sidewinder is a lot of fun lots of small techy moves and not many places you can loose your balance and get away with it. 20 miles one way, the group that built that deserves a thanks finding that route must have been many hours. After reaching the north trail head I turned east then south on Smith mountain road and followed it to the single track trailhead at Ute continuing south on red rock/ night horse. Im not sure witch but was right after bobcat or Duncan I thought the trail marker where the trail crossed the road indicated the trail was intermediate in difficulty rather than all the previous markers said Most difficult. I thought Great a nice stretch of some fun fast stuff, it immediately hits a series of switch-backs not real hard but i started to think that intermediate sign may have been misplaced then you crown the ridge-line to the east side and have a very loose tight uphill. I was not at all ready for that and with the dirt as dry as it was it took a bit to get up that sucker. The next section had that nasty "crux rock" at the top. I stopped believing in the difficulty ratings after that. I did bail out at the spike trail due to time and I wanted to ride in the free ride area for a while and follow the moonlight mesa trail. It was a good day, I didn't set any land speed records thats for sure but made it out in one piece without any injuries or mechanicals. Best was I found another great place to ride, thanks again for the input.