View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #77
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,542
After all my complaints about how G has almost gotten away from the great, round, 4 pin power cord and the fact that I have hard-wired several of my vehicles with them, I got in the truck, tried to plug in my 60CSx and broke the power+ pin. It was weakened from getting corroded several years ago during boat use, I should have checked and cleaned it more often rather than assume that gold didn't corrode. I spent two hours yesterday between my files and "My Garmin" trying to find out if I could get it repaired (well more likely replaced, I have never gotten the same unit back from repair) before giving up for the day. I had to send the unit back many years ago because the 'mounting' button came off the back, of course the unit I got back had different serial and unit numbers (there is a reason to have two numbers?) and despite having to call and get new codes to use my existing software (at least I could do that!) with the replacement, they don't seem to have any record of me owning the 'new' unit that they sent to me.
I have been b%^&*ing about having to rewire everything to USB to be able to use my DeLorme, now the only way to power the 60 will require the same, guess I better get working on that.
I really have liked every one of my Garmins (7 so far) but nearly every one has needed to be sent back at least once. They really do cost too much to be considered disposable (IMHO) but trying to have them repaired can be a maddening process.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote